Casarecce pasta with bacon chunks and smoked bacon -
Ingredients (4 to 5 portions)?
- 1 bag/500 grams casarecce pasta (or other similar variations)
- 1 box button mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb chunky bacon
- 0.5 lb smoked salmon
- 0.5 lb garden peas
- 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon truffle salt
- Some kosher salt
- Some black pepper
Peel and cube the onion. Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves. Trim off the very bottom stem of the mushrooms then slice them. Cube the bacon. Tear the smoked salmon into bite size pieces.
Bring a big pot of water to a boil and add a good few pinches of kosher salt. Pour in the pasta and cook till al dente, drain well and set aside for later use. If you time it well, all the other ingredients should be ready when the pasta just cooked to the right texture.
Take a big pan and turn to medium high heat. Add in cubed bacon and cook till the fat has been rendered but not over-browning the bacon. Scoop out the bacon chunks and leave the delicious fat inside.
Transfer cubed onion to the same pan along with 1 tablespoon of truffle salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Cook till the onion turns translucent then add in the garlic, cook for another 30 seconds or so.
Add in the mushroom and cook for about one minute.
Add the garden peas to the mixture. Defrost and pat dry ahead if using frozen peas. Also squeeze in 1/2 lime juice, cook for a little bit longer so all the flavors can bind well.
Transfer the cooked pasta to the pan and mix well. Scoop some pasta to the serving plate. Sprinkle some black pepper if desired. Add a few pieces of smoked salmon to complete the dish.
Wait till you bite into salty bacon chunks, the sensation is incomparable to sliced version.
Other pasta recipes:
- Surf & turf pasta finished with generous amount of grated bottarga
- Cheesy goodness: chicken pesto lasagna
- Tofette pasta with ground chicken and cream of mushroom
- A healthier choice - chunky bacon and veggies spaghetti
- Just got a little greedy on the seared duck breast...just a little...(spaghetti with duck breast in balsamic cream sauce)