Baby arugula salad with store bought marinated octopus -
Ingredients (smaller portion for two)?
- 1 small can marinated octopus
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tablespoon pitted black olives
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Fleur de Sel or sea salt
- Some extra virgin olive oil
- Some white wine vinegar
Open up canned octopus and drain out the oil or water inside. Thinly slice the octopus if possible. Judging by the pictures, yes I failed on that part. As a result, I laid the better sliced octopus on the bottom for one batch and simply mix the not so good looking chunks with the remaining salad.
Cut the tomato in half, deseed, and then chop into smaller cubes. Halve then slice the black olives.
Pour in equal amount of extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar, I used 1/4 cups each but still got some leftover dressing. Season with some salt and black pepper, whisk and give it a taste see if more salt if needed. However, there's no need to over season this simple salad dressing since the marinated octopus and black olives are both salty to a certain extent.
Mix the salad dressing with tomato cubes, black olives, and octopus first. Lastly, gently mix with baby arugula right before plating to prevent the leaves from wilting too fast.
Decorate with more freshly ground black pepper on the plate.
Octopus can be substituted with cocktail shrimps or squid, these two other ingredients should be easier to come by at most major grocery stores.
Other salad recipes:
- Scallop salad with simple shiso dressing
- Inspired by a local restaurant Leputing - My take on beet salad
- Enjoy steak in a less guilty way - served with arugula salad
- Lettuce and prosciutto salad with poached egg
- Utilizing store bought ingredients - smoked duck breast salad