Colorful chicken stir-fry with bamboo shoots, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, and snow peas -
- 1 lb chicken tender
- 1 big bamboo shoots
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 big handful snow peas
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Some sesame oil
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. There is no need to marinate the meat for this recipe. Peel and roughly chop the garlic cloves. Remove the shiitake stems, quarter or halve the cap. Grate the ginger. Peel and slice the carrot. Peel and cut the bamboo shoots into bite size pieces, it should yield about 3 loosely packed cups.
A little work for the snow peas. Grab the tip of the snow pea then pull it down to remove the fibrous string on the side. I do it for both the top and the bottom ends. Blanch the peas for brighter green color in the end, but not necessary. The pictures shown here did not go through the blanching step.
Drizzle just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Turn to medium high heat, but add in chopped garlic and salt before the oil gets hot. Cook till aromatic but not burning the garlic.
Add in carrot, bamboo shoots, and shiitake mushrooms. Keep stir-frying them. The mixture might appear dry in the beginning but after a while the heat and the salt will drive the moisture out. You can tell when the shiitake mushrooms start to soften.
Add in the chicken and give it a quick stir. Add in grated ginger, oyster sauce, and Sriracha. Mix a little and keep stir-frying using medium to medium high heat for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Lastly, add in the snow peas, cook for about one minute. Drizzle a little bit of sesame oil to complete the dish.
Only Sriracha was used to add a spicy touch, but a couple fresh red chilies can be a great addition.
Other Asian stir-fry recipes:
- Young ginger on hand, how about Japanese ginger pork 豚の生姜焼き for dinner?
- Kimchi chicken stir fry - the sour and spicy kick will make you craving for more
- Hunan eggs (spicy hard boiled eggs stir fry) - 湖南蛋
- Quick and easy Chinese stir fry using cured pork slices and garlic bolt 蒜苗炒臘肉
- Taiwanese dried radish and salted black beans stir fry - 辣炒豆鼓蘿蔔乾
- Chinese side dish recipe: spicy cabbage and Matsuzaka pork stir fry
- Spicy stir fry with thick cut Matsuzaka pork and salted black beans 辣炒松阪豬