Thick cut marbled beef slices and bean curd stir fry (with a touch of Chinese basil) -
- 0.5 lb thick cut marbled beef slices
- 3 squares dark skinned bean curd
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 to 4 red chilies
- 1 onion
- 1 small stalk scallion
- 1/2 cup Chinese basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted black beans
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Peel and slice the onion. Peel and roughly chop the garlic cloves. Trim off the chili stems and chop diagonally. Trim off the scallion stem and cut in few strips. Pick out the Chinese basil leaves and leave the tougher stems aside.
Slice the bean curd squares. I prefer to quickly dip the store bought bean curd squares in boiling water for few seconds before use, kind of a cleaning habit, but it's totally up to you.
Drizzle enough olive oil to evenly coat the bottom of the pan and turn to medium high heat. Add in onion slices along with salt and pepper. Cook till the edges turned slightly browned, add in garlic, chilies, and scallion. Give it a quick mix and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add in bean curd slices and give it a quick stir. Pour in the soy sauce along the edge of the pan so the direct contact of heat can further bring out the soy sauce aroma. Also add the sugar and salted black beans to the mixture. Cook for about 10 seconds then add in thick cut beef slices. Quality steak slices work just as well but it does come with a hefty price.
Wait till the beef slices are about 80% cooked through then add the Chinese basil leaves. Give it a quick stir then turn off the heat, this should be done in just a few seconds.
Garnish with additional fresh Chinese basil leaves if desired.
Salty, spicy, aromatic, I love to serve it as a side dish for steamed rice, but this along can also be a good match with beer.
Other Asian stir fry recipes:
- Up to another level - cured pork tongue and sprouted garlic stir fry
- Sour and spicy cabbage stir fry - 醋溜高麗菜
- Hunan eggs (spicy hard boiled eggs stir fry) - 湖南蛋
- Quick and easy Chinese stir fry using cured pork slices and garlic bolt 蒜苗炒臘肉
- Chinese chive flowers and salted black beans stir fry - wait till you find out this dish's real name
- Taiwanese dried radish and salted black beans stir fry - 辣炒豆鼓蘿蔔乾
- Chinese side dish recipe: spicy cabbage and Matsuzaka pork stir fry
- Bento side dish recipe: chicken and corn stir fry
- Pickled small gai choy and ground pork stir fry - 雪裡紅炒豬肉
- Let's team up - cauliflower and broccoli stir fry
- Spicy stir fry with thick cut Matsuzaka pork and salted black beans 辣炒松阪豬