Acts as an aromatic ingredient, scallion itself can also be the protagonist of a Chinese stir-fry. So if you ever find good quality scallion at the market, give this recipe a try. You'll be amazed how sweet scallions can taste.
Scallion and pork stir fry -
- 0.5 to 0.6 lb (250 grams) pork slices
- 1 big handful/about 3 bulbs scallion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 red chilies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Small pinch black pepper plus extra for garnish
- Small pinch granulated sugar
- Small pinch corn starch
Mix together the ingredients under the "marinade" section and make sure the sugar has been dissolved. Add in the pork slices and massage the marinade into the meat. Marinate for about 15 minutes.
Trim off the stems from the scallion bulbs and chop the remaining into about 2 inch long sections. Separate the white and the green parts. Peel and roughly chop the garlic cloves. Trim off the chili stems and slice diagonally.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and turn to medium high heat. Add in the white sections of the scallion and sear till all sides turned slightly browned. Add in the garlic and chilies and cook till that wonderful garlicky aroma comes out, but not burnt.
Add in pork along with the marinade if there's any left, but should all be absorbed by the pork slices by now. Stir-fry once a while and sear till almost fully cooked through.
Add in the green sections of the scallion and give it a quick stir. Turn off the heat right away, otherwise you'll loose some of that vibrant green color. Plate and sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper before serving.
Obviously the key here is scallion. Use more scallion if desired, this recipe should work for up to 6 bulbs and no need to adjust the amount of seasonings.
Other Asian stir-fry recipes:
- Eggplant and tomatoes stir-fry with oyster sauce 蠔油燴雙茄
- Oyster sauce beef stir-fry 蠔油牛肉
- Colorful chicken stir-fry with bamboo shoots, carrot, shiitake mushrooms, and snow peas
- Young ginger on hand, how about Japanese ginger pork 豚の生姜焼き for dinner?
- Kimchi chicken stir fry - the sour and spicy kick will make you craving for more
- Hunan eggs (spicy hard boiled eggs stir fry) - 湖南蛋
- Quick and easy Chinese stir fry using cured pork slices and garlic bolt 蒜苗炒臘肉
- Taiwanese dried radish and salted black beans stir fry - 辣炒豆鼓蘿蔔乾
- Chinese side dish recipe: spicy cabbage and Matsuzaka pork stir fry
- Spicy stir fry with thick cut Matsuzaka pork and salted black beans 辣炒松阪豬