Ate one and stored the rest of the croissants in the freezer. Surprising, the texture remained unchanged few days later after heating up in the oven. The already satisfying croissant turned into an even more fulfilling breakfast on one cozy morning.
Smoked salmon and soft scrambled eggs croissant sandwich -
Ingredients (for two)?
- 2 croissants
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise (Japanese kind preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Small pinch sea salt
- Some smoked salmon
- Small amount lettuce
Heat up the croissants in the oven. Once ready, remove from heat and let the croissants cool down till ok to handle by hands. Slice the bread in half but leaving the very last end intact, meaning not fully slicing the bread all the way through.
Mix the mayonnaise and whole grain mustard in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on the inner sides of the croissants -
Carefully put the lettuce to the croissant sandwiches as the very top and bottom layers. Add some smoked salmon in between the two lettuce layers.
Beat up two eggs along with a small pinch of salt. Prepare a non-stick pan and turn to medium heat. Add the butter and wait till it melts, pour in the egg mixture and keep stirring gently to prevent the bottom and edges from browning too fast. In fact, try not to brown the eggs at all. Lower the heat a little if needed.
Keep stirring the mixture till the eggs start to curdle, kind of like fresh cottage cheese. Quickly remove from heat when the eggs are still slightly runny. Keep in mind that the residual heat will continue to cook and harden the eggs. Transfer the eggs onto a plate or add directly to the sandwich on top of smoked salmon and below the lettuce.
Leftover turkey or ham can be two other delicious alternatives.
My house was filled with buttery and comforting aroma that morning. Simple pleasure.
Other sandwich recipes:
- Grilled rye bread sandwich with peanut butter, fig preserves, and Gouda
- Weekend brunch? Try rotisserie chicken with kiwi salsa ciabatta sandwich
- Open faced sandwich with mayonnaise shrimp and avocado
- Grilled cheese with homemade salsa
- Brioche burger with seared tuna and Sriracha uni sauce
- Japanese style corn and ham sandwich
- Japanese egg salad sandwich topped with smoked salmon (tamago sando)
- Turkey burger with two cheeses, sunny side up egg, baby greens, and broiled tomatoes
- Smoked ham sandwich with aioli and Parmigiano Reggiano
- Rotisserie chicken, strawberry, and ricotta croissant sandwich