I came across this ingredient while venturing a local market specialized in a wide variety of cured products. The preparation for cured tongue is similar to more common cured bacon.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add in the cured tongue, this process is fairly fast, about 10 seconds. Remove the tongue from water and use the back of the knife to run down the surfaces, removing any grayish bits if any. Let the tongue cools down then slice the middle section as thin as possible.
Leave out the rubber-like tip and the cartilaginous back-end section. Save these two parts for stock or sauce making in the future.
Cured pork tongue and sprouted garlic stir fry -
- 1 sprouted garlic
- 1 cured pork tongue
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red chilies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
Discard the sprouted garlic stem and chop the remaining diagonally into shorter sections. Discard the chili stems and also chop the remaining diagonally. Peel and give the garlic cloves a few chops.
Drizzle about two tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and turn to medium high heat. Add in sprouted garlic, chopped garlic, and chillies. Cook till the aroma comes out but not burning the garlic.
Add in sliced cured pork tongue along with granulated sugar. The sweetness from the sugar helps balance off the salty cured meat. Stir fry for one minute before serving.
During the prepping process, boil the cured tongue for few more minutes or leave it in hot water for an extended period of time should help in drawing out some salty taste.
Other Asian stir fry recipes:
- Sour and spicy cabbage stir fry - 醋溜高麗菜
- Hunan eggs (spicy hard boiled eggs stir fry) - 湖南蛋
- Quick and easy Chinese stir fry using cured pork slices and garlic bolt 蒜苗炒臘肉
- Chinese chive flowers and salted black beans stir fry - wait till you find out this dish's real name
- Taiwanese dried radish and salted black beans stir fry - 辣炒豆鼓蘿蔔乾
- Chinese side dish recipe: spicy cabbage and Matsuzaka pork stir fry
- Bento side dish recipe: chicken and corn stir fry
- Pickled small gai choy and ground pork stir fry - 雪裡紅炒豬肉
- Let's team up - cauliflower and broccoli stir fry
- Spicy stir fry with thick cut Matsuzaka pork and salted black beans 辣炒松阪豬